Thursday 30 July 2009

Metail

So it's a horrible-sounding term. But it's coming.

Metail is the hybrid of media and retail -- personalized just for you. Retail, after all, is media. It's a channel through which content is delivered. Branded content, entertaining content, useful content.

And as the digital and physical realms mashup into one continuous live experience, a live experience that's increasingly personalized, retailers must morph into metailers.

What do metailers do? They think and behave like media channels AND point-of-sale providers simultaneously. They program ever-changing, sometimes serialized, time-relevant content and context into their physical space. They consistently integrate this programming into online channels and screens, from the desktop to the mobile. Time-relevant programming could include niche-shopping nights (girls night out at Victoria's Secret, gay night at AussieBum) rush hour benefits (instant-pickup pre-bagged groceries, office-to-dinner quick makeover) or sports event shopping (discount for 5 minutes after your team scores) and the like. It also includes personalized, life-moment programming. The High School Graduation, Learning To Drive, and Just Got Engaged life moments suggest any number of personalized promotions and services that could drive sales. Tie ups with movies, games and television properties could make these life-moment programs even more compelling.

Because shopping is as much about entertainment as it is about utility, co-branded in-store experiences provide opportunities for new revenue streams for the metailer. Events, branded content partnerships, and the sale of media space itself are integrated into the economics of the metail business model, as are the data analytics of shopper behavior.

As long as I get a cut of the action, I don't mind if data about my behavior patterns convert into revenue. Metailers must earn the permission to track our behavior in the store by providing extra benefits to us for doing so. Benefits like secret discounts, early-access to promotions and sales, limited edition products, etc. So that over time, metail provides a customized, realtime experience -- and highly engaging reasons to consider and buy -- for each and every one of us.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I agree the digital physical mash up is so much a reality beyond a certain social/age/economic population. For every young kid who thinks it's cool "their brand" (of the month) is targeting them, there are 10 other people (read: adults with better things to do) that do everything they can to avoid it. Those that don't would probably like to but don't know how. As an above average technically literate citizen, I do just all I can to limit my exposure to corporate tailgating. Browsers all set to limit personal information and cookies, FB limited to personal Friends only, I'm a militant "unsubscriber" to company emails, and generally suspicious of cross marketing schemes.

    That being said, I use Amazon for 80% of my shopping, so I know in a big way my habits are being tracked. But I have any comminications from them or "trusted" affiliates turned off so it's entirely up to me to accept or ignore suggestions on the actual site. Sometimes it's helpful I'll admit, but again, it's limited.

    While I'll assume more of this stuff will start following consumers around, I for one hope we'll still have the tools to turn it off or on at will. I would recommend re-watching Minority Report as a reminder as what that future would look like if not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Doug. I don't want to be followed, either. But I do like the time I spend in the Apple store -- how my experience there is about my self-improvement. I can see that kind of in-store experience translating to other sectors beyond technology. Like when I buy a shirt. Why waste time being re-measured? I always go to the same brand, TM Lewin. They should know better.

    Those kids who are growing up with being tracked and don't care are about to be adults with entirely different expectations than you and I, who remember life before email and MTV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Why waste time being re-measured? " Well in the old days, that was called service! You come in and the well appointed gentlemen in the sore greets you by name and says "We have just the thing...same size as usual today?" Many local shops around me will do this still- at least with food or drink, if not clothing.

    ReplyDelete